Monday, January 17, 2011

Angels and Demons

       I have now decided to read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I went into this book with very high expectations, because I always hear people rave about Dan Brown. Even though I started with such high expectations, I was still blown away. This book is (I hope I don’t jinx it) what I am thinking to be my favorite book I have ever read.

            However I’m only on page 200. Dan Brown does a really good job of making his story seem realistic. Also the plot line is fascinating, and exciting. I know it isn’t real, but when I read the book, it makes it all seem so logical. Here is an excerpt from the book, that shows how realistic it seems,

His ancestors had formed a small but deadly army to defend themselves. The army has become famous across the land as protectors-skilled executioners who wandered the countryside slaughtering any enemy they could find. They were renowned not only for their brutal killings, but also for celebrating their slayings by plunging themselves into drug-induced stupors. Their drug of choice was a potent intoxicant they called hashish.
                  As their notoriety spread, these lethal men became known by a single word-Hassassin-literally “the followers of hashish.” The name Hassassin, became synonymous with death in almost every language on earth. The word was still used today, even in modern English… but like the craft of killing the word has evolved.
                  It was now pronounced assassin.

           Can you see what I mean? All of that seems so logical, and it makes you question reality. Or at least for me it does. I really love science, and to have it in this way in a book makes me very pleased, they also deal with other things like the idea of antimatter. The book helps you stay hooked because every chapter switches from story to story. It will go to the main characters story, and then it will switch to the hassasin, or the Cardinal Mortati.

           The story revolves around a death of one scientist, who was killed, then branded with an ancient symbol, a lost symbol for the oldest satanic cult. This that leads to shocking realizations about what he was working on, and why they killed him. Once all is on the table, Landon, a Harvard professor who gets pulled into the crime, has to go to Vatican City, and convince the people not to go foreword with the conclave, the electing of a new pope. The people have a hard time understanding that in six hours, the entire Vatican City will be destroyed, by just one drop of antimatter.

     If you are into Science fiction, mysteries, or a good read, you would love this book, and I strongly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment